Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ★★★★★

Random thoughts:

- Never have 161 minutes been that short. They rather felt like 120.

- Watching the movie, I felt like being thrown back straight into the 60s. This is by far the most self-consistent Tarantino, and this says a lot. The atmosphere is so tight, and the pictures are breathtaking. Every frame in this movie could be a wallpaper.

- OUATIH is the first Tarantino which hardly feels like a Tarantino, and I can say this in the best way possible.

- Leonardo DiCaprio is outstanding. Those switches between playing an actor struggling with himself and playing an actor portraying several characters in different movies are some sort of genius. I have seldomly been that impressed by a performance of his.

- The outcome is the most suprising one in any Tarantino movie. The last 20 minutes will leave you speechless.

- The way the radio is used in this movie is exceptional. It is Tarantino's love for the details which shatters me again and again.

- Speaking of details: Tarantino must have travelled back in time and shot this movie in 1969. There is no other way for me to explain this attention to the detail in every single shot.

- That soundtrack. Seriously, can it get any better?

- This is Tarantino's love letter to Hollywood, to Los Angeles, to the 1960s, to the actors, actresses, directors and writers that influenced him. It simply is a love letter to the one thing he loves so much - movies.

- M A S T E R P I E C E !

Adrian liked these reviews