I, Tonya ★★★½

For the Oscar race, I believe Margot Robbie will be a huge contender, if not ultimately the winner for the Best Actress category. I have heard several critiques, but don't agree with any of them.

There have been two epic events in my whole entire life that have felt really historical to me. One is the O.J. Simpson trial and the other is the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding scandal. I was mesmerized as events were unfolding, and though I was young at the time, I like to believe that I grasped the importance of what was going on.

I was not expecting such a human portrayal of Tonya Harding. I didn't know about the abuse she suffered from her mother and husband. It's so sad. Also, I wasn't expecting her to be so sympathetic. It's been over 20 years, and the way the media portrayed her, I hadn't felt sympathetic toward her at all. Wow. What power film can have.

Allison Janney was superb as the mother. For the Spirit Awards, she wins my vote hands down for the category: BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS.

Like THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI, the film alternates between humor and tragedy, but I felt that I, TONYA had something more powerful and energetic about it.