Gone Girl ★★★★★

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

This is my first (of many to come) rewatch since I watched in theaters when the movie released. Gone Girl is a brilliant reflect of how the Media can twist and turn people's minds within a blink of an eye. How the truth is almost not important as long as the TV has someone to blame and point and call guilty. In the very same year of 2014 we had another spectacle of a film called Nightcrawler, which I'm sure you know about. Nightcrawler did a very similar job on commenting about how Media treats stories.

But Gone Girl is not just about the Media, but also a comment on marriage. Two people might love each other, might be happy together for years and yet, that does not mean they shoud be together forever. Of course sometimes we get a little bit tired of our relationships, of our companionship. Compromise is not an easy thing and everyone knows that by now. What is interesting about the couple Gillian Flynn wrote about, is that they think they're over every other couple. They're better than them. And so they are meant to be. And it's incredible how things can fall apart even between such an intimate, loving couple when things start to go wrong. In the case of Nick Dunne and Amy Elliot Dunne, was their moving from New York to Carthage, where Nick grow up. By that, taking Amy out of her habitat, her Amy place, and dragging her to Nick place. Of course, along with that there was the financial issues, the occasionally detachment between the two and the infidelity, which was the last drop. But I believe the begin of the end was the moment they left New York. That was what woke the psychopath side of Amy, warmly kept inside and shadowed by the ficcional Amazing Amy.

By someone who read and loved the book, I say it's sad that Gillian Flynn didn't get an Academy Award nomination for this adapted screenplay, because it's really good. I mean, this is already a two and a half hour long movie, and to put all the content that is in the book, we would need a least another thirty minutes. But I believe Gillian Flynn adapted her own story wonderfully.

Beyond that, this movie nails the tone and atmosphere that Flynn creates in the book. It's intense, it's excruciating and nauseating (in a good way). And for that, we should salute David Fincher's masterful work as a director. This man turned a story about a nerd being doubly prosecuted into an engaging, sensacional movie called The Social Network. He did a violent themed social commentary with filosophical insights and psychological disordered characters called Fight Club. He did a crime thriller about a serial killer with twisted principles in a nameless corrupted city called Seven. And yet, the Academy insists on not giving him an Oscar. How is this possible? David Fincher has done only buy great movies, which the critics absolutely love and the Academy doesn't give him the prestige. But I'm getting off topic..

The Cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth is absolutely brilliant. This guy worked alongside with Fincher for four of his movies. The feel of his work in Gone Girl is most similar of what he does in The Social Network. It's beautiful to see as a photography, but it has an intensity, a thrilling tone that matches with the suspense. Complementing that, we have the agonizing and wonderful score by Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor. The composition in Gone Girl is, I believe, one of the things that keeps the story suspenseful from the begining to the end. It's sometimes very subtle but also very powerful. One interesting thing you might notice is right in the end of the credits, the last thing you hear is a heart beating until it stops. What could this mean? Who this beating belongs to? Could be Nick's, Amy's, their baby's or even a metaphor for their love to each other. I don't know, but if a score can make you wonder until the last moments of the credits, this is saying something.

Other than maybe some miscast over some of the supporting roles, the actors did a great job in their roles. I think this was the perfect oportunity for Ben Affleck to earn some esteem before he starts as the new Batman in the new Zack Snyder film. And Affleck nailed it. He's a perfect Nick Dunne and I couldn't be more satysfied by his performance. Rosamund Pike also did an awesome job portraying such a complex character as Amy Dunne. She was lovely when she was supposed to, and absolutely frightening when she had to. Other actors that impressed me were Carrie Coon as the twin Margo, and Kim Dickens as Rhonda Boney. As I read the book, I imagined Desi Collings being portrayied by Mathew Goode, because he already has been this creepy and rich kind of character before, in Stoker and Match Point. Neil Patrick Harris' performance was okay, but it's kind of hard to distance Neil from his most iconic character, Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother. I thoguht Tyler Perry as Tanner Bolt was great (I imagined Bob Odenkirk in his role because of his Saul Goodman) and the one character that seemed a little off from the original to me was Officer James Gilpin, which I completely understand why, giving the ongoing narrative of the movie.

But those things doesn't even harm anything. I have no complains about this piece of art. Gone Girl is a masterful work and deserves be recognized by so.