2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

I wanted to start the year on a high note so I decided to revisit 2001: A Space Odyssey, my favorite film of all time. It's been ages since my first watch and it's still an incredibly fascinating, complex and beautiful journey. What I really like about it is that different themes are analyzed here in the most profound manner. We follow the influence of the monolith on the evolutionary stages of man throughout time and it's also very intriguing how it has various purposes in each of the periods presented. It serves as a teaching tool to the apes, but also as a guide and transformational force to the human being. Apart from the monolith, another interesting subject being analyzed is the confrontation between man and machine. Seeing HAL 9000 as a conscious being who will do anything out of self-preservation was absolutely brilliant. Not only this film contains some really impressive special effects, which still hold up quite well nowadays, but it also has a magical and memorable soundtrack. I must say the final segment entitled "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" is the most visually stimulating sequence I've ever witnessed on film. 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the many masterpieces of Stanley Kubrick and I'll definitely be revisiting it a lot more times in the future.