Scream ★★★½

I can't remember the last time I watched the original Scream. What a treat for our The Movie of the Week, as suggested by Mr. Andy Summers.

I've been meaning to revisit Scream for some time. I saw it in the theater when it came out, and it still brings me back to the horizontal seating, popcorn smell, and my girlfriend at the time, nervously holding my hand. Those were good times...

My rating is probably a little overly critical. I enjoy Scream quite a bit because it's such an easy watch. It really flies by, because the pace is quick and easy going. At the same time, there are bits in there that I get bored by (albeit briefly), so I guess tempers some of the experience. I'm not the hugest fan of some of the goofy bits. (Like when Ghost Face goes flying in the air, for instance.)

It was really fun to see Jamie Kennedy again -- it was soon after this came out that I worked on his website. Really nice, fun guy whose energy totally comes across on screen. He let me do some really creative stuff with his site -- many leap frogging off of his already outrageous ideas. It's a good memory that I had all but forgotten about until yesterday.

This was way back when I was obsessing over Nick Cave too -- I forgot that "Red Right Hand" was used not once, but twice in the movie!

I'm not the hugest fan of the '90s when it comes to cinema, but this is a goodie. I remember that Scream opened the doors *wide* for horror in the mainstream. (A very good thing.) I kind of thought the genre would only surge for a year or two after, but it's still going strong twenty years later. (It was kind of dead for a while.) For that, Scream deserves some major props.

Scream for me, Letterboxd!