Suspiria ★★★½

It took far too long to watch this... I won't bore you with too many of the details, but I drafted my feet so long that I got too much feedback from friends. I'm leery of spoilers, so most of the feedback was trying to prepare my expectations (as compared to the original). I don't know if this was a good or bad thing. As I was watching, l I think I would have preferred to take the movie on its own terms.

Compared to my expectations, I thought Suspiria was very much like the original in terms of its general plot. What was missing? Colors. Pretty colors. What was added? Thom Yorke's music (very cool). Creepy montages (very cool). Film-speed effects (wasn't working nearly as well as Chrisopher Doyle/Wong Kar-wai, unfortunately).

Overall, I dug it. I'm tempted to give it 4 stars, but it's a bit long, and the dance sequence toward the end lost my interest -- at a point that should have been mesmerizing. (You can see it above, in the splash image.) To this film's credit, the climax was pretty awesome. Tilda Swinton was her usual, amazing self -- of note is that she was two selves!* I was so distracted during the movie, that I had to pick up my phone to find out who the old man was. Well, I found out!

That's about all...

It totally felt like the original Suspiria had a baby with Hereditary. (That could have been my entire review.)

*Just found out she is actually three selves!