The Secret Life of Pets 2 ★★½

Love the first Secret Life of Pets, but this one didn't live up to it.

Here's what I didn't like about it: too many plots that felt segregated from each other. I would get into one, and then they would jump to another -- unlike the first one that felt interconnected, this one felt like flipping tv channels. The stakes were too low. All of them felt anemic, but Max's in particular. (The sheep bit was so unexciting and uninteresting.) Remmy, AKA Patton Oswalt (from Ratatouille) is too iconic of a voice in too good of a movie to play the voice of Max. The villain was such a waste. Lastly, all the quirky stuff going on in the background of the first movie felt felt forced to the forefront in #2.

What I liked about it: cats (all of them except the tiger cub... because he felt like the lazy part of the story). Tiffany Haddish as the voice of Daisy. (Her voice deserves its own series.) Lot of fun camera stuff, and a good amount of the ridiculous things going on (I was even on board with Captain Snowball).

The Secret Life of Pets 2 is pretty much a wash. Neither here nor there in terms of pier-rated quality and memorability.