John Wick: Chapter 2 ★★★★

***THIS IS A PROFILE I WROTE ABOUT THE MAKING OF JOHN WICK 2 BUT IT CONTAINS MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE AWESOMENESS OF JOHN WICK 2***

“John Wick” director Chad Stahelski was 30 years old when he heard the six magical words that changed his life forever: “Hey, you look like Keanu Reeves.”

For most of us, that would be a flattering compliment; for Stahelski, a stuntman and former kickboxer who got his start doubling for Brandon Lee after the actor was killed in a freak accident on “The Crow,” it was a call to action. “I was working on a show called ‘The Pretender,’” he recalled over a cup of coffee in the swank foyer of TriBeCa’s Greenwich Hotel, “and my boss noticed the resemblance. He said ‘You do all that martial arts stuff, right? They’re having an audition for something down in Burbank. Why don’t you go check it out after you’re done with this.”

Stahelski will never forget what happened next, even though it’s a miracle he can remember it at all. “I got hit by a car [on the show],” he shrugged. “Cracked my head, knocked myself silly.” He paused for a sip. “I was getting hit by a car that day — the problem was that the shoot was running late.” (For most people, the worst part about getting flattened by a car is being flattened by a car. For Chad Stahelski, the worst part is the inconvenience.)

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON INDIEWIRE