Bound ★★★★★

My 21st Birthday is coming up very soon (the 22nd), and what better way to celebrate than by finally completing/rewatching the filmography of my two favorite filmmakers, Lilly and Lana Wachowski! I'm not even sure how to put into words how much their films mean to me, what Lucas' Star Wars saga did for me as a kid these do for me as an adult, giving me everything I didn't know I wanted from art and presenting it in exactly the best way for my brain to understand it.

I don't know why it took me so long to watch this, but holy hell did it floor me. What a fucking debut, the script, the directing, all the style of new directors breaking into Hollywood with seemingly the craft of someone who's been in the biz for years. And even on a lower budget than their later works you can really see the formation of their style as well as moments I suspect they were deliberately calling back to in later films. Combine that with the perfect chemistry between the leading actresses and the genuine level of tension throughout and you have yourself a great fucking movie.

Speaking of connections to their later filmography it didn't take me long to recognize Don Davis on the score.

It seems pretty unlikely that the Wachowski sisters will be allowed to make a multimillion-dollar blockbuster again, especially in the current market, but maybe they can make a return to mid-budget filmmaking ala Split instead.