Kingsman: The Golden Circle ★★★★½

Kingsman: The Golden Circle is the eagerly awaited sequel to 2014's surprise smash hit Kingsman: The Secret Service. Despite the middling reviews, I loved this movie just as much as I did the original.

Taron Egerton returns as Eggy who is now a well established spy and he is excellent once again. This guy really needs to have more movie roles because he still has a lot of potential. Mark Strong and Colin Firth also return. I really loved Julianne Moore as villainess Poppy Adams, channeling a peculiarly cheerful yet sinister Stepford wife. Other A-list stars including Halle Berry, Channing Tatum, and Jeff Bridges join the supporting cast as part of the Statesmen (the American counterpart of Kingsmen) seemingly to set up more characters for the franchise's future installments. One extended cameo by Elton John was a huge surprise and unexpectedly hilarious.

Without the need for much set-up, the movie jumped right into the action. It was a whole lot of high octane, adrenaline-inducing fun. The action setpieces topping each other, the cool weapons, and the over-the-top concept really tie together the whole thing into a fun and hyper action movie. Worth noting is the political commentary, whether intentional or unintentional, that just cannot be overlooked. The vilification of drug use in modern society has started to become an archaic concept only fiercely clung to by the close-minded and stubborn. I honestly actually found the villain's demands quite reasonable—to be regulated and taxed. What is so wrong with that?

Kingsman: The Golden Circle is a fun and more than adequate sequel to the spectacular first film, delivering the same atmosphere and over-the-top action sequences that will not disappoint.