Alice ★★★★

Original Title: Něco z Alenky
Year of Release: 1988
Genres: Fantasy; Horror; Animated; Comedy
Director: Jan Švankmajer
Writer: Jan Švankmajer; Lewis Carroll (based on the novel)
Main Cast: Kristýna Kohoutová

Alice thought to herself... Alice thought to herself 'Now you will see a film... made for children... perhaps... ' But, I nearly forgot... you must... close your eyes... otherwise... you won't see anything.

Okay, film, you sure take the cake for weirdest opening I have seen in a long time. Stop-motion is my favorite type of animation around, truly mad men's insane passion to make something that takes ages yet is immensely rewarding to watch. Jan Švankmajer is a master of the craft, and his 1988 not-quite-family-friendly adaptation of Alice in Wonderland is a genius' deranged fever dream, which makes for the best adaptation of Carroll's work.

Blending impressive stop-motion with live-action, Švankmajer embraces the nonsense writings of the book and adapts them with immense ingenuity and inventiveness here, crafting a tale that is part family film and part surrealist horror that is a pure joy to watch. The animation is the real and only reason to watch this, to be in awe at its detail and bonkers situations that Alice finds herself into. Her purposefully repetitive narration (you'll learn how to say the word "said" in Czech after this) can get annoying, but it is ultimately a small nitpick in an otherwise delightfully weird film about childhood fantasies.

Story: 7.5

Violence & Gore: 2
Sex & Nudity: 0
Drugs & Profanity: 0
Intensity & Horror: 4

Follow me on YouTube, where I review movies and video games

Nicolò liked these reviews