Perfect Blue ★★★★½

Weekly Film Club Vol. 9

My second Satoshi Kon film, after the masterpiece that was Paprika. I can say I don't think Perfect Blue is quite as good as that film, but it is still absolutely incredible. I am in love with a lot of the animation and art of the film, and it definitely handles dark scenes very well.

I know a lot of people say this movie will blow your mind or that it can be really difficult to follow, but at least in my case I kind of suspected everything from about the 15 minute mark. However I don't think that detracts anything from the film. The characters, animations, songs; everything is so perfectly executed that even if it was your 50th watch of the film each story beat will still hit you just as hard.

Perfect Blue does a really great job at expressing loss of control of your mind. The entire film rests on the understanding that Satoshi Kon had for how someone loses their mind. I think it may have been his goal to transport his audience into that same mindset, of someone on the brink of insanity. He did it.

On this watch we saw the English Dub because one of us had seen it and said it was good and I really loved the voice work for the film. However I would also like to see the film again subbed just to compare and contrast. But as of now, phenomenal film.