The Rocketeer ★★★

Weekly Film Club Vol. 13
Superhero Movies Ranked

Before Joe Johnston made the first Captain America film, he first stepped his toes into comic adaptations and superhero films with the 1991 film The Rocketeer. It definitely is an interesting movie, and darker than a lot of Disney live action films. I am definitely glad I watched the film, despite some flaws.

I found the middle portion of the film to be mostly a bore. There were a couple interesting sequences and some good dialogue occasionally, but the vast majority of that time I spent relatively bored. However besides the middle chunk I genuinely enjoyed my time watching The Rocketeer.

I think the villain is pretty great and is perfectly played, and I think for the most part the main cast nails their performances. Billy Campbell was probably the weakest of the bunch, but he still does a good job with what he was given.

The film is incredibly cliched. The script is sometimes a little too silly to bear. The green screen effects have rapidly aged. But aside from a rough exterior, The Rocketeer is a genuinely intriguing and fun film that I think should be on more peoples radars.