Avengers: Endgame ★★★★★

100

Some people move on. But not us.”

We can talk about the climax all we want, which is definitely one of the nerdiest things ever put on screen, not to mention that it’s so well done. Many moments feel earned. We’ve been building up to this, and holy moly it pays off dearly. But what elevates this one above most MCU entries is that everybody is treated like humans. They’re allowed to be vulnerable. They’re allowed to grieve. They’re allowed to reminisce about themselves. It’s been leading to all this, and this is the fight for their lives.

The first viewing had me emotional, and I did not know what to expect at all, given the secretive marketing strategy that Marvel decided to undergo, and the footage had comprised of at least 10 or 15 minutes of the 180 minute runtime. It also helped that I didn’t watch the trailers repeatedly compared to Infinity War’s. Of course, I was completely blown away, then appreciated the little things in the second viewing but I’ve just about appreciated everything put into this gargantuan film. The runtime is never an issue, and I have no idea how the Russos do it. The pieces are put in place, and they move quickly yet never forgetting what came before, until it all ends. It’s far from perfect, but I have to say it gets a bit closer there on this third viewing. It’s an very emotional journey with a nerdgasmic climax, and just wildly entertaining. This has a huge rewatch value, and that’s a titanic accomplishment given its runtime.

Caleb liked these reviews