Avengers: Infinity War ★★★★★

"We're in the endgame now."

It's almost here. Avengers: Endgame's hype levels are godly right now.

The first Avengers was an event. It called upon different heroes to face a common foe, and the movie was a hit. It satisfied everyone, and gave us a taste of what the MCU could be, especially with that Thanos tease at the very end. Now we're here. Regardless of how one feels about the MCU, it's built an incredible cinematic universe that has followed multiple heroes, moves along common threads between all 22 movies. All of that in just over 10 years. Who knows what the MCU might look like after Spider-Man: Far from Home but I suspect it'll be different. Would it be the same? That certainly remains to be seen.

Anyhow, cinematic history is afoot. This movie cost likely over $300 million, if not more. Some reports even say $400 million. Google is your friend, but that's my memory. To my current recall as of this writing, it's overtaken Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End in terms of the budget. That's absolutely massive, and to think Endgame could surpass it, it just says a lot about the strength of the MCU. There's a large collective hype around it. This generation's Star Wars if I must make a comparison. In short, the next few days are going to be quite interesting, emotional (additionally to Game of Thrones fans like me if you're into that), and just historic.

Few things about this movie. As I see now, this runs at 149 minutes. It's really simple for me to say right now. I've watched countless movies at a similar runtime, yet they feel twice as long, if not more. The pacing is phenomenal, especially with a cast of this caliber. The action scenes are certainly frequent, but the storytelling is never put to the back burner. Plus, we get a lot of Thanos (Josh Brolin in a magnificent performance), and it is his movie. How many franchises can say they built up to a penultimate movie that's actually centered on a villain? As far as I'm concerned, Thanos has won over a lot of people, and the Internet still persist with memes, quotes, and et cetera. Like I said, easily this generation's Star Wars. The score by Alan Silvestri is always terrific, but especially where Thanos smiles at the rising sun at his farm. That moment absolutely slaps every time.

Stay tuned for my spoiler-free review for Avengers: Endgame at approximately 10PM CST on Thursday. Then I'll dive in again for a spoiler-y review at approximately 6:30PM CST on Friday. It's gonna be wild!

Caleb liked these reviews