Halloween H20: 20 Years Later ★★★½

75/100

As Halloween returned to “normalcy” since it departs from the supernatural aspects of the franchise thus far, it was destined to be a success. It was, rightfully so, grossing around $85 million on a nearly $20 million budget. It has been warmly received by fans, although critics didn’t do so as well. Growing up as a huge fan of the franchise, I always came back to this as a return to form, although seeing it right now, it didn’t age as well as it might’ve. However, it’s still a great fun, and it’s very much a product for its time. It definitely has its nods to Scream, in which it reinvented the horror genre at the time, and there’s quite a bit of self-awareness despite the film’s main focus being Laurie’s (Jamie Lee Curtis) dealing with the trauma of that night in 1978. In retrospect, I might’ve expected a better dealing with the topic of generational trauma, but that will likely be dealt with in the upcoming Halloween (2018), I expect, in a much better way. That said, this is still an effective sequel with an impressive performance from Jamie Lee Curtis who salvages a rather mediocre script to make this particular entry worth watching. As a friend said, this is filmed like Dawson’s Creek, and while I can’t speak for that since I’ve never seen the show, it’s definitely filmed like a tv show, with the warm lightning and the atmosphere wrong. It’s redeemed in the last 20 minutes, but there isn’t that much of a build up compared to the other films. Still, this shouldn’t be skipped, and is a great fun to watch. It’s probably going to turn out like the “comfort food” entry of the series. Warm, at times terrifying, and effective all the same.

Caleb liked this review