X-Men: Days of Future Past ★★★★★

"All those years wasted fighting each other, Charles... to have a precious few of them back."

If this was in anyone else's hands, this film might've been very different, and possibly made much later. It's worthy of an event film like Avengers: Endgame, but regardless, Fox took a chance on one of the more popular X-Men arcs, and passed with flying colors. Say what you want about Fox, but they always played around with the stories and definitely took chances, for the better and worse. Obviously, this is one of the better turns by veteran X-Men director Bryan Singer and writer Simon Kinberg. I might even say this is a lightning in a bottle type of film because it could've easily been a mess, or something that didn't quite reach its full potential. Yet, nearly everything worked here. X2 was certainly the strongest film before this came along, but it still kept things grounded. This film? It went absolutely wild yet had a firm grasp on its own ideas. It basically dove headlong into comic book territory. I'll also credit Matthew Vaughn for this as well, when you see how he planted the seeds in First Class.

This film is very much a swing for the fences as it handled a very large cast yet maintained a wonderful story and a hopeful message that clearly resonated with many. Hope for the future is certainly something we need, more than ever. If anything, this film got better with time. I might even say it's one of the films we need right now. Magnificent.