Thor: Ragnarok ★★★★½

Over the past two days, I have seen this movie three times and everytime I’ve watched it, I’ve liked it more and more everytime and since I just got done with my third viewing, let’s talk about Thor: Ragnarok.

The first time I saw this movie, I did not like it at all. When I rewatched it a few months ago, I enjoyed much more probably because it’s been so long since I last saw it. I’ve seen it six times now and I’ve enjoyed it more and more everytime and I think it’s safe to say that this is one of the absolute best MCU movies. The plot is very similar to the Planet Hulk comic, a comic I remember reading once when I was a kid.

I don’t know if I said who my favorite Avenger was yet but here he is: Hawkeye. I always liked Hawkeye since the first Avengers movie and after revisiting this movie multiple times, Thor is now my favorite Avenger (of the original six that is). First things first, this movie is absolutely hilarious and Taika Waititi is an amazing Director because I always loved his comedic style. I saw someone say something pretty accurate: Guardians Of The Galaxy is an action film with comedy and Thor: Ragnarok is a comedy film with action. I gotta say that whoever said that is absolutely right.

That leads me to the style of the movie. The colors are great and I love how the trash planet was pretty much a rainbow made out of metal. The cinematography is also excellent and stands out compared to other Marvel movies. Anyone who complains about Marvel movies looking very bland and boring should watch this movie. I used to be one of those people who really couldn’t stand Marvel movies and preferred these crazy art films but after I saw Doctor Strange, I got a new appreciation for Marvel movies and I’m glad that it’s stronger than ever today. Art films are still cool though.

I also loved the effects. Some people complained about the CGI and green screen at times but I didn’t mind it at all. Considering how goofy and over the top the film is, I thought it fit right in. I also noticed this on the trash planet: they have statues of all the champion heads who won their freedom in the arena and one of those heads is Beta Ray Bill, a character who will appear in Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3.

Both Guardians and Ragnarok kinda feel like 80s movies made today and I think that’s why I love them so much. The characters are also great. I love Jeff Goldblum in this since he plays a character who is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. He’s a feared leader but he’s also a party guy and he’s hilarious, I hope we see more of him later down the line. Returning characters such as Thor, Hulk, Idris Elba’s character and Doctor Strange were all awesome to watch and Hela was a really good villain. Karl Urdan’s character was also a neat addition but let’s talk about my favorite character in the entire MCU: my boy Loki.

This guy, I love him so much. He starts off as a villain and then he shows his more bright side and after Thanos kills him in Infinity War (I was pissed when that happened, like REALLY pissed) he kinda redeemed himself and becomes a good guy. Also since he grabbed the blue cube thing from the first Avengers movie, he’s back into this universe (yaaahhh). But the real show stealer for me was Korg. He’s voiced by Taika himself and he’s just awesome to watch and like the Grandmaster, I hope to see more of him and Meik is also cool. If there’s one thing I would’ve liked in this movie, it’s Rocket Raccoon running around with Thor and Hulk fighting space skeletons here since he and Loki are tied for my favorite Marvel character. If he was in this movie and was in it a lot then this would be my favorite movie in the world.

If there’s one problem I have with this movie, it’s the scenes on Asgard still suck. The more Asgard is in something, the less I like it. Not the Asgard people which is explained in the movie but that space island. Also the soundtrack is so cool, it kinda reminds me of TRON: Legacy, it’s really awesome.

In other words, Thor: Ragnarok is the Thor movie I never knew I wanted.