Black Panther ★★★★

If Infinity War doesn’t make a zillion trillion billion dollars, it will be a failure, because Taika Waititi with Thor: Ragnarok and now, Ryan Coogler’s Black Panther have brought a welcome scent of fresh air and newfound excitement to the MCU.

What’s to love about Black Panther? Michael B Jordan’s Killmonger is the baddest villain in the history of the MCU. He’s simply a brutal, ruthless and straight savage motherfucker. He’s a real person. Not some magically made monster. He has an agenda that’s stone cold and to the point. I ain’t gonna lie; I wanted him to win. Denzel is to Training Day as Michael B Jordan is to Black Panther.

Wakanda. We need a new world to explore in the MCU and we get it with the utopian-esque Wakanda. It is a magical place, with a rich history, that could literally change the world. I do ponder why Wakanda stayed neutral for so long, but perhaps, it needed a leader with the stones to step out of its comfort zone.

T’Challa. Here’s the great part about Chadwick Boseman’s T’Challa; it’s only the beginning with him. There’s still so much more growth we can witness in his character. He’s not the most polished superhero, but he has the potential to bring the house down.

The ladies. Simply put, the ladies of Black Panther are the glue that holds the movie together, and it is not because of their gender, it is due to them being cool as fuck characters. Okoye is T’Challa’s right hand, Nakia holds T’Challa’s heart in the palm of her hand, and Shuri is the Q of the MCU. She’s perhaps the most intelligent character in the MCU and she probably steals ever scene she’s in. Can we please get a spin-off starring the Ladies of Wakanda?

Black Panther is an exciting comic book movie and I’m glad almost everyone is embracing it. While not the best movie from the MCU, that will forever be Iron Man; Black Panther gives us all a sense of hope, that the world can truly be a better place, if we all just work together.