Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri ★★★★

I'm backed up on reviews so I'm going to cheat and rattle through the things I remember about 'Three Billboards Ouside Ebbing, Missouri'. Ps, the name of this film makes it increasingly difficult to tell your non-cinephile friends what you did on a Friday night.
-Sam Rockwell is an amazingly talented artist: this character was indescribably fun to watch, and was perfectly brought to life.
-Frances McDormand was also remarkably easy to watch.
-Wow, this is the darkest comedy I've seen in recent memory. Jokes made at the most inopportune time, under the most abysmal circumstances, and on the most tender topics. Not to mention the jokes were fantastically written.
-Thematically a little difficult for me to follow. Basically, "violence begets violence"? Each character either inflicts some serious damage (physical or otherwise) on another character, if not themselves. It felt like a couple hours of violence-dominoes.
-Why did they spend 90 minutes leading us to believe it was this rapist, and then pull the rug out from under us and refuse to offer any closure?
-Sam Rockwell's comedic timing while telling Mildred about the importance of reading was legendary. That was among the funniest things I've seen on the big screen this year.
-Why in the world wouldn't Dickson be thrown in jail for beating the piss out of an advertising employee and throwing him out a second story window?

This film was greater than the sum of its parts. There are some relatively strange filmmaking decisions going on here that sort of muddy the waters of this plot and confuse the tone of the movie, and yet none of these decisions ruin its integrity. This was a very well made film, and is rightfully having a memorable effect on viewers.